December 2nd, 2013 at 2:23 pm by under 4 Warn Weather

The work week will see readings moderate on Wednesday into Thursday, ahead of a slow moving cold front later in the week. An area of low pressure passing across the northern Great Lakes should bring a downslope flow on Wednesday, allowing readings to rise into the low–possibly mid 50s. Rainfall in scattered showers arriving late Wednesday and Wednesday night looks minor. A cold front oozing across the region by Friday may provide a pathway for some mixed precipitation, but most guidance takes the front far enough south and east so that WNY would miss the bulk of the moisture headed up to the middle Atlantic and NE states. Friday will be Cooler, and the weekend will be Colder, but nothing extreme. Some model ensemble members bring an area of low pressure close to us by Sunday night or Monday, but the majority of guidance shows nothing all that impressive. The European deterministic/operational model at 00z Monday was showing next week to be colder in general, but the ensemble mean doesn’t look as cold as the operational model.

Not my most exciting blog entry to be sure. But on the other hand, December is not shaping up to be milder than average in its first 2 weeks.

200 Responses to “Temperatures move briefly above average by midweek, but Return to Below Average at Week’s End”

1. Thinksnow13 says:

Hey Don are you suspect about the LES chances for tonight?:in the past, if I’m remembering correctly, you have stated before that a full length SW wind can often be more than enough to overcome the dry air or lower cap. Does tonight’s SW concern you in that way?

2. Sled Hill says:

Very creepy. I can’t believe you’re still following the blog Chris. Especially from Europe. Sounds like life is great.

3. Sled Hill says:

Lake Erie is very angry. Winds are picking up, and white caps as far as the eye can see. My car says 40, but probably 39.

4. Dave from Roc says:

Chris / C from P…I’m going to go ahead and view your statements as a threat. If anything suspicious occurs at my residence or elsewhere, I’ll know who I can look to…

5. D. Hauser says:

Ok I’m not following the inside humor on here. Some interesting reading though this morning!

I hear you Sled Hill on the winds. Lake Erie is starting to chop up pretty good out there.

6. Ben P says:

“I thought IMBY observations were b.a.u. for this blog.”

IMBY observations are fine, with me. My point is that they don’t take a doctorate in biology to post. And the rest of the time (when it’s not growing season), it’s all anti-snow. That’s my point.

Credentials are really useful when they actually back something up.

7. Sled Hill says:

Long dark clouds are starting to form over the lake and march over Buffalo. Radar is also starting to light up a bit. Temp has fallen 2 degrees.

8. Adam from Hamburg says:

Maybe a new blog later Don? If you are not too busy ;) .

Not too sure if many of you are interested, but I have finally submitted my college applications that’ll hopefully transform me into a decent meteorologist in the future. My list goes from most likely to attend to least: Penn State, Oswego, Lyndon State, Albany, Oneonta, Brockport.

Good luck, Adam.

NEW THREAD IS UP.

10. Sled Hill says:

TS, to my untrained eye, looks like your last post is coming true.