How to Create an Ice Luge Run in your Backyard

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:09 am by under 4 Warn Weather

Recently, our fellow BuffaloWeatherBlog Blogger, Sled Hill, was featured on News 4 and across parts of the good ole USA, too, for his back yard Ice Luge Run creation.  His story has won overwhelming praise from a lot of folks admiring his invention.  His creation is a great way to capitalize on Western New York winters and to enjoy the season to the fullest.  Family, friends and neighbors can go whipping down a home made ice luge run that will give thrills and chills.  “Sled Hill” is here to explain and show you how he crafted and maintains his winter masterpiece.  You may want to indulge and install one in your own back yard.  Feel free to ask him questions and give him your kudos and comments, too.  Thanks, Sled Hill for making WNY winters more enjoyable for all!

49 Responses to “How to Create an Ice Luge Run in your Backyard”

1. Sled Hill says:

larkspur lugers, My Pleasure!! Looking foreward to next year. Hope Mother Nature deals us the same kind of winter. If you chime in on this blog again, I’d be interested to know where your from. Interesting name.

2. Sled Hill says:

larkspur lugers,

DUH!!! Thank YOU for all of your help!! :) Ryan, for taking the runs. (even when it was boring) Chris, for hauling up the bricks, and shaping the turns. Carter for making some yellow snow. ;) And Mary Beth for sharing your time with your family.

Sled Hill

3. Sled Hill says:

To All,

The Luge made it on the front page of today’s Buffalo News in the City and Region section D.

Also thebuffalonews.com.

BUFFALO.COM posted 79 pictures under Spotted In WNY. Page two of the pics, row three, second last pic shows me catching the top edge of turn two, in the air, a split second before I took a spill.

4. Sled Hill says:

I don’t know if this will paste, but I’ll try.

5. Sled Hill's Mom says:

Well, I did it! Not just once, but 6 times down the luge. And – I survived! Sled Hill – thanks for your hospitality yesterday for me and my fellow Fisher-Pricers. We all had a ball. Also, I would like to thank all of your friends and their families for helping you build that wonderful hill. Love — Mom

6. HOCKEY DAD says:

NICE PIC OF THAT CRAZY TURN 2 NICE LOOK ON YOUR FACE ALSO. ALL THE PICS WERE GOOD I HOPE THE HILL SURVIVES THE WARM UP. WE WANT TO GO DOWN IT AGAIN.

7. Sled Hill says:

Check out this video The Buffalo News did. I’ts AWSOME!!

8. Sled Hill says:

Hockey Dad, Thanks. I think we might be done for the year. 50 tomorrow, 60 on wed. Doesn’t look good. I have tons of “stored snow”. Next week is looking like it will be cold. If long range looks good after warm-up, and the turns are still in tact, I will probably rebuild “minimally” to get one more sledable run in for the season. I wish we could have held off until March. But oh well, it was a great year. Looking foreword to summer. Then next year!! :)

9. Sled Hill says:

Lindsay, I got the DVD today. Thank you. I WILL call you again next year when the Luge is complete for a follow-up. Looking foreword to it.

John.